), progress;} Black Moustache 2013 S1-09 English Language Blog: Similes/metaphors in a song

Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Similes/metaphors in a song


Skyscraper by Demi Lovato
Vevo prevented it from being viewed on certain sites so I can't embed. :P

Skies are crying

Personification: she used it to represent how sad she was.

You can take everything I have 
You can break everything I am
Like I'm made of glass
Like I'm made of paper

Simile: She is comparing her brokeness to a torn paper or shattered glass.

Go on and try to tear me down
I will be rising from the ground
Like a skyscraper, like a skyscraper

Metaphor: She is comparing herself overcoming her problems to a skyscraper rising from the ground above the rest.

2 comments:

  1. Does the song mean that she is too vulnerable so it is easy to break her like a glass or crumple her like a paper? So, "brokenness" is her vulnerabilty here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When recording it in 2010, Lovato was very emotional which triggered outbursts and caused her to start crying. Later the same year, she entered a treatment facility to deal with her personal struggles. After finishing it in early 2011, she re-recorded the song, but kept the original recording as she felt that it was "symbolic" to her. So I guess it was her vulnerability.

      Delete